From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Dependencies and PYTHON_TARGETS
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2018 18:34:54
1 I am still on the 2013 profile, and I therefore have
2 PYTHON_TARGETS=python2_7 python3_5.
3
4 The other day I had to install python 3.6 for reasons unrelated to
5 portage or other packages. I thought I would reduce my overall snake
6 footprint by removing 3.5 _if_ it wasn't really necessary anymore. To
7 that end, I removed the line
8
9 dev-lang/python:3.5
10
11 from /etc/portage/world, and then I did emerge --depclean. I was
12 somewhat surprised when portage charged ahead and removed python 3.5,
13 but I said ok maybe it automatically changed the TARGETS of the
14 dependencies and they will be rebuilt next time. But _no_, checks with
15 equery and emerge -p show that all python code providing packages still
16 have python_targets_python3_5 on, and python_targets_python3_6 off.
17
18 This is disappointing. It looks like I have to do 2 things manually:
19
20 * set PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_6" - where? In make.conf? Will
21 it override the profile setting?
22
23 * make sure dev-lang/python:3.6 stays in the world file, even if it is
24 not needed by me directly
25
26 Or I am badly confused as I often am ;-)
29 Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
30 if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
31 To reply privately _only_ on Usenet and on broken lists
32 which rewrite From, fetch the TXT record for no-use.mooo.com.