From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone succeeded with kmail2?
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2013 19:24:48
1 On Sunday 06 Jan 2013 15:11:35 Francesco Talamona wrote:
2 > > On 4.9.3 you are still experiencing something similar. Hmmm. Indicates
3 > > to me a high probability of a systemic problem with the projects
4 > > approach, something that is unlikely to ever get really fixed. In my
5 > > opinion kdepim2 is vastly over-engineered and an attempt to solve a
6 > > problem that does not actually exist. I recommend you use a different
7 > > mail app.
8 >
9 > After an indescribable amount of pain and time wasted I was able to regain
10 > control over my mail.
11 >
12 > I recently migrated a kmail used nearly for ten years to the latest kmail2.
13 > Migration took around a month of struggle.
14 >
15 > It's mandatory to have nepomuk+akonadi running (I configured file indexing
16 > to run only on a folder containing a few files), it has to be checked for
17 > mail too.
18 >
19 > In the migration you'll lose your filters, your profiles, and the flag of
20 > the mail will be randomly changed (thousands of read mail will come up
21 > unread, "important" flag will be lost... And so on).
22 >
23 > If you try to reimport (after deleting the akonadi database as somewhere
24 > advised) the mail from ~/Mail you'll discover the the import tool is unable
25 > to handle maildir (or mailbox, I don't remember) format. If, like me, you
26 > used kmail for several years, then not all mail folders have the same
27 > format, given the fact that the default was changed during time.
28 >
29 > Beware also that full text indexing is on per default for every mail folder
30 > created. So, as soon as I imported a mail folder, I deselected this option
31 > by hand (under folder properties -> maintenance).
32 >
33 > So, this is the step-by-step guide to migrate to kmail2:
34 >
35 > * backup your ~ folder, especially ~/Mail, ~/.config and ~/.kde4
36 >
37 > * make sure akonadi, nepomuk & co are running (with the command "akonadictl
38 > status" for example).
39 >
40 > * look carefully in ~/.xsession-errors if some errors appear related to
41 > akonadi, nepomuk, mysql, soprano, virtuoso... Do not migrate if you see any
42 > errors, fix them first.
43 >
44 > for example the following error is guaranteed to slowly and painfully drain
45 > all of your setup and mail to a black hole:
46 >
47 > Soprano: "Could not connect to server at /tmp/ksocket-sko/nepomuk-socket
48 > (No such file or directory)"
49 >
50 > * Delete everything no more necessary (mail messages, old accounts...).
51 >
52 > * Archive every folder you want to migrate and delete them from the old
53 > client
54 >
55 > * Take note of your filters, especially if some of them makes elaborate
56 > operations, mail account settings, profile preferences...
57 >
58 > * backup again, just to be sure
59 >
60 > * upgrade kmail, and start kmail2, let it run for the time needed (one
61 > night or more is normal) until the I/O and CPU load are back to a
62 > reasonable level
63 >
64 > * reimport archived folder (and disable for each one full text indexing
65 > before is started)
66 >
67 > * reconfigure filters, accounts, profiles...
68 >
69 > * backup for the last time
70 >
71 > Hoping to save someone else the waste of time I went through.
72 >
73 > F. Talamona
74
75 WOW! The fact that *any* KDEPIM devs consider this migration torture even
76 remotely acceptable must be a clear sign of advanced insanity! O_O
77
78 Thank you very much for your detailed instructions. It seems that kmail2
79 requires the full KDE desktop running or it won't play well. Perhaps that's
80 why my attempts to date were futile.
81
82 With kmail-1.13.7 I am getting this error:
83
84 Nepomuk Query Server not available
85 kmail(3842)/kdecore (KConfigSkeleton) KCoreConfigSkeleton::writeConfig:
86 search paths: ("/usr/bin", "/usr/local/bin", "/usr/bin", "/bin", "/opt/bin",
87 "/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.5.4", "/opt/Citrix/ICAClient")
88 "/usr/bin/akonadi_nepomuk_contact_feeder(3872)" Soprano: "Could not connect to
89 server at /tmp/ksocket-michael/nepomuk-socket (No such file or directory)"
90 [snip ...]
91
92 Connecting to deprecated signal
93 QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
94 akonadi_maildispatcher_agent(3871)/libakonadi
95 Akonadi::SpecialCollectionsRequestJob::slotResult: Failed
96 SpecialCollectionsRequestJob::slotResult "Failed to fetch the resource
97 collection."
100 It seems that it is a matter of time before I am forced to use T'bird - or
101 make the time to configure and learn how to use mutt. :-(
102 --
103 Regards,
104 Mick

smime.p7s application/pkcs7-signature