From: Benno Schulenberg <benno.schulenberg@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] file system problems - what is proper maintanence?
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 19:46:32
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Is it the case that the journal is only used to repair the disk
3 > when fsck is run?
4
5 No, it's more like either/or. With an unjournaled file system, it
6 is fsck that checks everything and repairs inconsistencies. With a
7 journaled file system, the journal is used to complete the file
8 operations that were interrupted by a systen crash, lockup, or
9 power loss. There shouldn't be any inconsistencies left. If there
10 are, the disk has made mistakes, either due to a one-time brown-out
11 or impending failure.
12
13 Google for: how does a journaled filesystem work. The first two
14 hits should tell it all.
15
16 > Also, if these drives are turned off at night, then on again the
17 > next day, and mounted by the user, then where does fsck info from
18 > the daily check go? dmesg???
19
20 Nowhere. You need to modify the init scripts if you want to save
21 any of the info that they produce. Or maybe there's some provision
22 for this now in the scripts, I don't know, I've changed them.
23
24 Benno
25 --
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list