From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: FYI: Daily / weekly / monthly cron jobs run twice on DST - non-DST transition
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2017 16:11:12
1 On 2017-11-05 07:11, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > But, I agree that it makes far more sense to just have desktop users
4 > use an appropriate cron implementation designed to handle the machine
5 > being off most of the time vs trying to use shell scripting to make
6 > vixie cron into such an implementation.
7 >
8 > FWIW this is probably the reasoning behind including cron-like
9 > functionality in systemd, and having it support optionally running
10 > jobs if the system was down during a calendar-based event. It was
11 > considered bare-bones functionality that any desktop or generic server
12 > would need.
13
14 If Kai is right that fcron handles it, the reason is probably systemd
15 people thought that had to match the functionality to be considered a
16 full replacement. Especially since fcron is the normal system cron on
17 Fedora/RH, right?
18
19 > I personally use systemd-cron which basically is a wrapper+generator
20 > around /etc/crontab and the various /etc/cron.*/ scripts.
21
22 If your dislike for having this in cron itself comes down to shell
23 script vs. C code, and it appears so from the above, I'm not at all sure
24 I agree. This to me seems one of the few tasks where shell script is in
25 fact a good fit: mainly looking at files, timestamps, and running other
26 programs.
29 Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
30 if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
31 To reply privately _only_ on Usenet, fetch the TXT record for the domain.