From: Mark Kirkwood <markir@××××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] HD running temperatures
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 05:42:57
1 Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:
2 >
3 > On May 20, 2006, at 7:56 PM, Dave Jones wrote:
4 >
5 >> I've implemented the hddtemp service, and see that my HDs, one an IBM
6 >> 120GB, the other a Hitachi 120GB disk, run a steady 46 and 49 degrees C.
7 >
8 > When you touch them, does it feel about right. While it is warm, it is
9 > not that warm that you couldn't make a guess if it was right or not and
10 > you shouldn't hurt yourself. The reason I mention it is to have a
11 > second opinion if hddtemp is working correctly in your installation.
12 >
13 > I have not run hddtemp but have run some vendor utilities from hitachi
14 > and they gave bogus info back on HD temp
17 Good advice - tho I think 50 degrees C will burn your hand in about a
18 second, so yeah - be careful!
19
20 The fact that both the IBM and Hitachi drives are recording similar
21 temperatures suggests that hddtemp is probably reading them correctly.
22
23 You could emerge smartmontools, and see if its temperature readings
24 agree with hddtemp (they should).
25
26 Cheers
27