From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Kernel upgrading and linux symlink
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 21:43:24
1 On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > On 10/31/2009 11:07 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Saturday 31 October 2009 22:03:04 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
5 >>>>
6 >>>> For instance, you might be running 2.6.31-r4 and also have 2.6.31-r3
7 >>>> installed. To install nvidia-drivers, you must build it twice - against
8 >>>> each kernel you want to use it with (nvidia-drivers builds and installs
9 >>>> a
10 >>>> kernel driver into /lib/modules/<kernel version>)
11 >>>
12 >>> It's a bit more obfuscated than that.  Maybe nvidia-drivers work
13 >>> different, but ati-drivers will build against /usr/src/linux but install
14 >>> the actual modules in /lib/modules/running_kernel.  If /usr/src/linux
15 >>> doesn't point to the running kernel, the modules will be installed in
16 >>> the wrong place.
19 >> That is just so mind-bogglingly absurdly stupid I doubt if ATI should even
20 >> be
21 >> allowed near a computer....
22 >>
23 >> Compiling code never depends on something running, it only depends on
24 >> things
25 >> being present that can be linked against.
26 >>
27 >> Thanks for reminding me why I insist on NVidia GPUs, I'd forgotten.
28 >
29 > This isn't ATI's installer.  It's the ebuild that does this.
30
31 And from deep memory it seems like there were other packages that
32 operated this way 8-10 years ago. I know in 1999 I had to be very
33 careful about where the linux link pointed, and while it's not as
34 necessary today to do so i'm still quite careful.
35
36 I use the ATI drivers on my AMD64 machine. I think I've always found
37 that I needed to emerge fglrx after the new kernel had been booted but
38 never understood why. This email is helpful. It seems to me that if it
39 is the ebuild that's doing this is needs to be fixed. If I understand
40 correctly I could be building for 2.6.31 but installing in 2.6.29?
41 That's not right...
42
43 Thanks to all for the info.
44