From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub passwords - how do I limit OS selection?
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 23:54:00
1 On 7/30/06, John J. Foster <Gentoo-User@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 07:09:41AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > > I would like to limit OS selection at boot time.
5 <SNIP>
6 >
7 > Mark,
8 >
9 > Unless I'm reading your needs wrong, I think you need the "lock" command
10 > as well as the "password" command.
11 >
12 > http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#password
13 > http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#lock
14 >
15 > HTH,
16 > festus
17
18 Festus,
19 Thanks very much. It's a great solution for what I need.
20
21 It does limit the use of Windows, which is what I wanted, until the
22 password is typed in. Once typed in it also seems to allow changing
23 the boot time options on Linux, but in my son's case I'm not the least
24 bit worried he's going to try anything there.
25
26 Again, thanks very much for supplying a great solution.
27
28 Cheers,
29 Mark
30 --