From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Knock on wood
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 15:28:32
1 On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 12:13 AM, Alan E. Davis<lngndvs@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Is it because I'm more experienced, or perhaps more cautious? I am running
3 > ~amd64, and have several overlays installed under layman. I don't know, but
4 > I tend to think the distribution is more mature.
5
6 Welcome back! :)
7
8 I seem to feel that it's more mature, too. I haven't stopped using it,
9 but in the last 5 years that I've been using it, it has definitely
10 gotten much easier and more manageable thanks to the hard work of so
11 many people. In particular some of the newest versions of portage have
12 greatly improved handling of things like blockers, depclean hasn't
13 burned me, and the whole @preserved-rebuild thing has virtually
14 eliminated the need to ever run revdep-rebuild. The established
15 overlays and layman have really helped dealing with the major things
16 like new releases of KDE with no big headaches, and ebuilds for
17 nearly everything are available either in portage or in an overlay.
18 There are still many, many bug reports on b.g.o every day (which I
19 consider a good thing in this case) so it seems like while there isn't
20 the "buzz" in the linux world about it anymore, the Gentoo community
21 is still alive and active.