From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub and what happens exactly when booting.
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 17:00:05
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 10:47:01 -0500
3 > Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Mick wrote:
6 >>> You will need to patch your kernel (in your sdb test OS) and then
7 >>> you will also need to make a reiser4 fs on your sdb partition(s)
8 >>> (for that you'll need to emerge sys-fs/reiser4progs). If you want
9 >>> to be able to mount reiser4 from within your sda OS, you will need
10 >>> of course to patch your current kernel to start with, alternatively
11 >>> use a LiveCD like sysrescue which comes already patched. For
12 >>> patches look in here:
13 >>> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/edward/reiser4/reiser4-for-2.6/
14 >>> The way I do what you are trying to do is start with the existing
15 >>> OS on sda, partition sdb, tar contents of sda partitions into
16 >>> corresponding sdb partitions and then modify fstab. Depending on
17 >>> what you want to test you may not need grub installed into sdb's
18 >>> MBR and you may not need a /boot in sdb. As long as you are not
19 >>> going to remove sda from the machine you should be able to add a
20 >>> couple of lines in the original grub.conf to select to
21 >>> boot /dev/sdb, while using sda's MBR and /boot partition. HTH.
22 >> I could have swore reiserfs4 was in the kernel. Sure enough, it
23 >> ain't. I'll wait then. I don't want to take the chance that
24 >> something goes belly up then not have a bootable way to fix things.
25 >
26 > reiser4 was never in the kernel and the odds of it ever making it there
27 > were about zero (coding style issues and many other things that pissed
28 > Linux off). And that was in the days when Hans was physically located
29 > in a place where he was allowed to code.
30 >
31 > For all practical purposes Reiser4 is dead. I haven't heard a peep out
32 > of anyone claiming to maintain it for a few years now.
35 New question. I'm playing with LVM. What is the best file system to
36 use that with? I know LVM can shrink and grow so a file system should
37 be able to do the same, online would be great but not required. That
38 would be good for a / partition but not needed for the rest. I can
39 always go to single user and resize things.
40
41 I don't want XFS tho. I used it before and it was a total disaster. I
42 have a UPS but I also recall having to pull the plug when hal showed up
43 too. No need for a repeat.
44
45 Hmm, maybe I am thinking of ext4? Life's confusing. :/
46
47 Dale
48