From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] applications cannot access anything on youtube
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2022 17:33:55
1 On Sunday, 6 March 2022 17:31:55 GMT Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Mar 6, 2022 at 12:20 PM John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > > OK, I discovered that if I add 8.8.8.8 to my resolv.conf,
4 > > www.youtube.com becomes accessible. I would like not to have either
5 > > google or cloudflare in there, if I can avoid them -- they were
6 > > blocking some places I wanted to go to with a 521 error code. So, the
7 > > mystery deepens.
8 >
9 > Actually, it got a lot simpler. You ruled out host, nsswitch, etc
10 > issues. This is just a DNS server issue. Run:
11 > dig www.youtube.com @8.8.8.8
12 > dig www.youtube.com @127.0.0.1
13 > dig www.youtube.com @198.7.0.5
14 >
15 > All three should resolve something reasonable (it is ok if they don't
16 > resolve the same - load balancing/etc can result in that). If any
17 > fail to resolve then that DNS server has issues. At that point you
18 > need to check the config on that DNS server.
19
20 BTW, blocking cloudfare's servers doesn't stop access to youtube.