From: Mike Williams <mike@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installation problems
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 12:33:46
1 On Friday 13 July 2007 20:19:33 Hendrik Boom wrote:
2 > A few months ago I tried installing gentoo.  It mostly succeedes, but I
3 > was unable to boot the new system.
4 >
5 > When I boot, it fails as follows:
6 > >> Activating mdev
7 > >> Determining root device
8 >
9 > !! Block device /dev/mapper/lovesong-gentoo is not a valid block device
10 > !! The root block device is unspecified or not detected
11 > Please specify a device to boot, or "shell" for a shell
12 > boot() ::
13
14 Have you looked at:
15 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install_Gentoo_on_an_LVM2_root_partition
16 ?
17
18 In all the noise, and seemingly outdated info, I picked out the use of
19 the "proper" LVM path (/dev/VG/LV), and the dolvm2 kernel option.
22 Mike Williams
23 --
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list