From: alex stone <compose59@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] really old box for a firewall
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 00:01:58
1 Hello all, my first post here.
2
3 Since installing Gentoo on my working audio box, i've had a good run,
4 with no problems. (I'm a full time classical composer)
5 The audio packages are stable and i get to work all day every day
6 without having to spend time tweaking anything in the OS. (At last)
7
8 So with that in mind, i have an interest in turning a very old box i
9 have here (pentium-mmx) into a firewall/router.
10 I tried a live cd, with the intent of building up a 32bit chroot in my
11 big box, and syncing it into the old one. (All 64bit native in the
12 studio boxes)
13
14 when i inserted the live cd to begin the process, i got an error
15 message at boot which said (along the lines of ):
16
17 "There is a feature missing in your CPU (0:15). and the live cd cannot boot."
18
19 That was the end of the process, and i couldn't install anything.
20
21 So my questions are:
22
23 Do i need to install an older version of Gentoo in order for this to work?
24
25 Do i need to flag the boot in some way with options in order to get
26 this to install?
27
28 I'm on PPTP cable with a vpn address from the provider. Will an older
29 version of Gentoo be capable of handling this protocol?
30
31 Help would be appreciated, even if it's along the lines of turning the
32 old box into a boat anchor, as it's not fit for purpose.
33
34 Alex.
37 Parchment Studios (It started as a joke...)