From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] InitRAMFS - boot expert sought
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 01:38:07
1 David W Noon wrote:
2 > On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 17:28:17 -0500, Dale wrote about Re: [gentoo-user]
3 > InitRAMFS - boot expert sought:
4 >
5 >> Alan McKinnon wrote:
6 > [snip]
7 >>> Everything you fear about udev instantly ceases to exist and is no
8 >>> longer a problem. Sorted.
9 >
10 > And /var ??
11 >
12 >> But what about using LVM? People was all for me using it a while back
13 >> and I want to use it, see other post, but now because of this, I'm not
14 >> supposed to.
15 >
16 > I promised you (plural) an easy initramfs solution a few months back.
17 >
18 > I have an initramfs image of 1.6MiB that supports LVM and
19 > mounts /usr, /var and any other LVM volume or partition you wish. I
20 > have been able to boot with it since about January (hardware issues on
21 > my development box permitting). I will release a Python script to
22 > build it from a single command in the next 10 days or 2 weeks. The
23 > real chore will be writing the documentation (as with most software
24 > development efforts).
25 >
26 > For me, the best part is its diminutive size, as my /boot partitions
27 > are only 32MiB each. The fact that it works every time should make you
28 > feel secure against whatever the udev developers can throw at us.
31 The reason I want to use dracut is because that is what is supposed to
32 be supported by Gentoo. I also read where others have used it with no
33 problems. I was also hoping to learn how it works, or is supposed to
34 work, so that if something happens I can figure out a fix for it. So
35 far, I broke it. lol
36
37 I know genkernel is another approach but I just learned to hate that a
38 long time ago. While not as bad as hal, it's a close second.
39
40 I might also add, mine does boot, it's just that the system doesn't work
41 right when I do boot with it. From what I understand, it doesn't make
42 sense as to why it doesn't work. In a way what it does is really
43 simple. Mount /, then mount /usr and whatever else, then switch to the
44 new / and boot. I have no idea why that makes me unable to su to root.
45 From what I have read, once it does the switch root thing, it's done
46 and should work the same.
47
48 Well, I'm going to go have a good soak in the tub on this mess. Sooth
49 my nerves a bit. :/
50
51 Dale
52
56 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
57 how you interpreted my words!
58
59 Miss the compile output? Hint:
60 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"