From: Toby Cubitt <tsc25@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Launching X.org through ssh
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 18:35:27
1 On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 08:09:38PM +0200, Rafael Fern?ndez L?pez wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I'm connecting from a computer (remote computer) to a server (sshd, it is
5 > running apache2 too, but it doesn't matter right now), and I can connect
6 > through ssh to it, and run every command all right, but launching X.org.
7 >
8 > If I try a "startx" command, it will start X.org in the local computer,
9 > and I'd like to run it into the remote computer, as you would do with RDP
10 > for example.
11
12 That won't work. When you run an X program ("client") on the remote
13 box, it connects to your local X server so you see the remotely
14 running client on your local display. But the X server itself is, as
15 the name suggests, a server for X, not a client.
16
17 You should look into VNC (there are a number of versions in portage),
18 or maybe freeNX. In my experience, freeNX gives better performance,
19 but VNC is easier to set up, especially if you connect via ssh (as you
20 should). FreeNX is usually used to forward single applications, not
21 whole desktops, but recent versions can also forward whole
22 desktops. (It can even connect to VNC sessions.)
23
24 HTH,
25
26 Toby
27 --
28 PhD Student
29 Quantum Information Theory group
30 Max Planck Institute for Quantum Optics
31 Garching, Germany
32
33 email: toby@××××××××.org
34 web: www.dr-qubit.org