From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev + /usr
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 15:10:26
1 On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 10:57 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Of course you can solve it differently, for example splitting udev as
3 > Joost proposes. But then is more code to maintain, and the number of
4 > possible setups is suddenly the double it was before. It. Is. Not.
5 > KISS.
6
7 If you want KISS by imposing rules on the many to make
8 responsibilities fewer for the few, build a walled garden. Building a
9 safe playground has never been what Linux has been about, or what it
10 has been advocated or marketed as, in the ten or so years I've been
11 using it.
14 > It's a lot like the CUPS/lprng situation we discussed before. CUPS can
15 > do anything that lprng does, so it makes no sense to keep support for
16 > lprng. It's the same: with an initramfs you will be able to do
17 > anything, so it will make no sense to keep supporting initramfs-less
18 > systems.
19
20 While I came down on the CUPS side of that argument, udev is a very
21 different beast.
24 :wq