From: Robert Welz <welz@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] File replication
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 13:18:16
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 08:49:23 +0800 (CST), Stephen Liu wrote:
3 >
4 >> I'm searching a tool/method whenever I save a file on /home/user a
5 >> duplicate copy will be saved automatically on
6 >> /mnt/point/of/usb_enclosure/home/user simultaneously, similar to
7 >> replication/mirroring. Thus the USB enclosure can be used as a mobile
8 >> storage device and can be plugged in on any Linux PC.
9 >
10 > You could set up a RAID-1 array on the two devices. Auto-detect RAID
11 > information is saved at the end of the device, so it can still be used as
12 > a standalone drive/partition when connected to something else. One
13 > advantage of RAID is that if you run with the device disconnected and
14 > then connect it, the RAID will be updated in the background.
15
16 Yes, but syncing takes a lot time and should be observeved not to
17 interrupt while in progress. You will need a script to notify you that
18 syncing is done othewise you have a corrupt device.
19
20 What about a perl script that just copies all files in /home/user to the
21 device once it is plugged in?
22
23 Robert
24 --