From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: KDE version
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 23:42:30
1 On Thursday 23 March 2006 11:22, "Christopher O'Neill"
2 <chris.oneill@×××××.com> wrote about '[gentoo-user] Re: KDE version':
3 > I've been using 3.5.1 for a while also, imo it should stay in unstable
4 > for now. There are a few bugs with the desktop, Konqueror and
5 > Kaffeine also has a habit of seg-faulting. I am considering
6 > rebuilding it with the debug flags to I can submit some useful bug
7 > reports.
8 >
9 > I think packages in stable should be stable as the name says, not
10 > simply "older than 30 days" or whatever ;-)
11
12 It's not /simply/ older than 30 days. They have to be ~ARCH for /at least/
13 30 days, so that ~ARCH users have plenty of time to find and file bugs
14 that exist. It's rather hard to say a package is stable before it's gone
15 through the ~ARCH users cleanly, so I'd say that "stable" implies "older
16 than 30 days" therefore "stable and older than 30 days" == "stable".
17
18 So, really, stable gentoo packages are stable as the name says. :)
19
20 (That said, I love my ~amd64 machine; but I regularly upgrade and have
21 enough time to file most to all of the bugs I find.)
24 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
25 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
26 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
27 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh
28 --
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list