From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Pin a package to a binary (quickpkg'd) version?
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2014 22:11:20
1 On 23/08/2014 14:42, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 8/23/2014 8:16 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 23/08/2014 12:34, Tanstaafl wrote:
4 >>> Is it possible to do this?
5 >
6 >> Not directly. I'm assuming you mean packages you built yourself and
7 >> quick-pkg'ed them, not something available as a -bin
8 >
9 > Correct... I have buildpkg feature enabled in make.conf, so everything
10 > gets quickpkg'd...
11 >
12 >> You can use emerge -K, so emerge will fail if there's no binpkg
13 >> available. This will do what you want as long as you
14 >>
15 >> a) always use the -K option
16 >> b) don't try emerge something else as well
17 >>
18 >> Portage is designed to build your packages from source; binpkgs are very
19 >> much a third class citizen with only very primitive levels of support.
20 >
21 > Bummer...
22 >
23 > What I want is to be able to pin a specific package to the quickpkg'd
24 > version, so it doesn't get updated during an emerge world...
27 Short version: You can't
28 Longer version: You can if you package mask every version of everything
29 greater than what you quickpkg'ed. This is tedious beyond belief
30
31 Alan's crafty hack version:
32 If you can guarantee that every package to be installed has a suitable
33 (and correct wrt USE) quickpkg, then use emerge -K always on the
34 machines to install the quickpkg
40 Alan McKinnon
41 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com