From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Dynamic IP address services.
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2016 15:52:52
1 On Tue, 8 Nov 2016 15:14:14 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
2
3 > You need a static IP address _and_ a domain name, _and_ a DNS server
4 > with an MX record that points to that static IP address. The static
5 > IP address comes from your ISP. Once you've got that, you can
6 > register the domain name with any registrar, and set up the DNS server
7 > with any DNS provider. If you've got a real, full-service ISP (do
8 > they exist any more?), they can probably handle all of it for you.
9
10 Yes they do, they just don't bother competing is the "never mind the
11 service, compare the price" markets.
12
13 You should also have a backup mail host to accept mail should anything
14 happen to your server or its connectivity.
15
16 > > Alternative is to use a company that provides SMTP proxy for
17 > > outgoing emails or set up a mail server on a virtual server with a
18 > > hosting company. Unless you know what you are doing and can keep it
19 > > fully updated. Please don't run your own like this.
20 >
21 > Especially if you plan on running for president someday...
22
23 Has something happened with some president's emails? I must have missed
24 that news item...
28 Neil Bothwick
29
30 Inland Revenue: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!