From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] preparing for profile switch -- major problem
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2017 16:51:55
1 On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 07:36:19 -0500,
2 Kent Fredric wrote:
3 >
4 > [1 <text/plain; US-ASCII (quoted-printable)>]
5 > On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 02:17:09 -0500
6 > John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
7 >
8 > > OK, thanks, I think I will try that.
9 >
10 > The problem you're facing is that you masked dev-lang/perl, but not any
11 > virtual/perl-* or perl-core/-* to compensate.
12 >
13 > These 3 components work in concert like a single component, as a sort
14 > of bodge to compensate for the fact portage has no working "provides" feature,
15 > and to compensate for the dependency-system missmatch between how
16 > Gentoo works and how CPAN works.
17 >
18 > Theres' no easy way of fixing this atm, but the short of it is if you're using
19 > an ~arch dev-lang/perl, you should be using an ~arch virtual/perl-*,
20 > and if you're using an "arch" dev-lang/perl, you should be using only
21 > "arch" versions of virtual/perl-*
22 >
23 > Once you do this, portage may still scream at you, because portage is
24 > very much optimised for upgrading, and it tends to think downgrading is
25 > an error.
26 >
27 > So once you get all your masks/keyword changes in place, you should do:
28 >
29 > emerge -C virtual/perl-*
30 > emerge -C perl-core/*
31 >
32 > (or something to that effect)
33 >
34 > This looks scary, but generally isn't, because you're not actually removing
35 > anything with this, just juggling a few balls and making only older
36 > versions of certain things available ( as they're alls shipped in
37 > dev-lang/perl )
38 >
39 > And then after you do this, portage is more likely to be persuadable
40 > into doing the right thing.
41 >
42 > You can additionally abuse my tool, gentoo-perl-helpers for doing some of this,
43 > and some of the steps I've described are automated because they're just
44 > that safe and useful.
45 >
46 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Perl#app-admin.2Fgentoo-perl-helpers
49 > After putting the right masks in place, do:
50 >
51 > gentoo-perl gen-upgrade-sets 5.26 5.24
52 >
53 > And if you're really lucky, the sets it generates will work the first time :)
54 >
55 > ( I actually tested this scenario when developing it, but its still an
56 > undocumented use on purpose )
57
58 OK, so I am doing the usual update of world and portage figured out
59 about hundreds of perl modules and even thepython setuptools, so I
60 will do that and then think about doing the -e world, but I may wait
61 awhile on that -- this one will take at least 48 hours.
64 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
65 How do
66 you spend it?
67
68 John Covici