From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] zfs emerge failure
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 22:54:42
1 On Tue, 15 Aug 2017 18:46:59 -0400,
2 John Blinka wrote:
3 >
4 > On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 6:04 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 > First, I appreciate your thoughts and comments.
9 > > I suspect your sources have gotten messed up in some way. I've run
10 > > into issues like this when I do something like build a kernel with an
11 > > odd umask so that the portage user can't read the files it needs to
12 > > build a module. Your chmod should have fixed that but there could be
13 > > something else going on. It might just be that you didn't prepare the
14 > > sources?
15 >
16 > Same thought occurred to me, hence the chmod. Not sure what "prepare
17 > the sources" is all about; not a step I've ever used with kernels.
18 > But see below.
21 > > I actually do all my kernel builds in a tmpfs under /var/tmp these
22 > > days which keeps my /usr/src/linux pristine. (make O=/var/tmp/linux
23 > > modules_install and so on) It does involve more building during
24 > > upgrades but I know everything is clean, and I prefer no-issues to
25 > > faster-builds.
26 >
27 > I have the same preference. Will have to take a look at following
28 > your example..
31 > > In theory that isn't essential, but I would definitely just wipe out
32 > > /usr/src/linux and unpack clean kernel sources. If you're using the
33 > > gentoo-sources package you can just rm -rf the symlink and the actual
34 > > tree, and just re-emerge the package and it will set up both. If
35 > > you're using git then I'd probably wipe it and re-pull as I'm not sure
36 > > if a clean/reset will actually take care of all the permissions.
37 > >
38 > > Then you need to run at least make oldconfig and make modules_prepare
39 > > before you can build a module against it. Doing a full kernel build
40 > > is also fine.
41 >
42 > I think I've done that (multiple times over the past 8 months). When
43 > a new kernel shows up as stable in the tree, I do (as root)
44 >
45 > emerge -DuNv gentoo-sources
46 > set up symlink
47 > cd into usr/src/linux
48 > zcat /proc/config.gz > .config
49 > make olddefconfig
50 > make menu_config (as a sanity check)
51 > make
52 > make modules_install
53 > make install
54 >
55 > I don't know what could have messed up the kernel tree other than
56 > whatever magic happens behind the scenes in the various make commands.
57 >
58 > Just now tried a make modules_prepare followed by an emerge -1 spl. Same error.
59 >
60 > Started again from scratch. Moved the kernel tree I've been working
61 > with (building kernel, modules, etc.) aside, then re-emerged
62 > gentoo-sources. Kernel tree should be pristine now, right? Then
63 > copied the config from my running kernel (same version 4.12.5) into
64 > /usr/src/linux. Then did a make modules_prepare. Finally did an
65 > emerge -1 spl. Same error as always. So, as attractive as the idea
66 > of a messed up kernel tree is to me, I don't think that's the source
67 > of the problem.
68 >
69 > I think it would be informative if I could somehow see exactly what
70 > commands are being run when the error occurs. Is there a way of doing
71 > that?
72
73 What is your umask? I had troubles like this when I had too
74 aggressive umask of I think 027 rather than 022.
77 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
78 How do
79 you spend it?
80
81 John Covici