From: maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] Strange crash while setting up new box
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 19:37:24
1 Hi group,
2
3 I've never seen this before:
4
5 I needed a new mobo but I wanted to keep the cpu so I
6 got another socket 754, an AsRock K8Upgrade-N3, which
7 has a 939 option. I also got a new video card to go
8 with it, a GeForce FX5500. I also got a new PS, an
9 Enermax 400 "Liberty".
10
11 So I put it together and it boots right up. Just need
12 to make a couple of modules and re-xorgconfig. So
13 while I'm rejigging the kernel the screen suddenly
14 fills up with a bunch of black and white code and
15 crashes, no keyboard, no mouse. I was gonna type it up
16 here but then the box just rebooted while I was
17 writing this.
18
19 As I recall the code was just the names of processes
20 followed by numbers. No warnings or errors, nothing
21 about a failure.
22
23 Anybody seen this?
24
25 There's a few things in the new BIOS that I'm not
26 familiar with: Fast Write, Ring-in Power On, PCI
27 Devices Power On. S.M.A.R.T is disabled by default but
28 I enabled it.
29
30 Maxim
36 Be a better friend, newshound, and