From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: new printer suggestions?
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 16:17:35
1 On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 12:01 PM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:
5 >> I have a Brother MFC-7460DN network laser AIO. Both printing and scanning
6 >> work fine, using modified ebuilds from b.g.o. Duplex printing also works
7 >> as expected.
10 > So I started looking at the drivers at the bgo overlay,
11 > I did fine: brother-mfc-j265w-drivers-1
12 >
13 > http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/download_prn.html#DCP-J315W
14 >
15 > Is that the drive you used?
16 > How will I know it works with the printer I'm looking at?
17 > (MFC-J6710DW )
18 >
19 > Will I have to hack an ebuild to get my specific printer to work?
20 > And I ended up here:
21 >
22 > http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/download_prn.html#MFC-J6710DW
25 > Since I did not see a specific overlay for the
26 > MFC-J6710DB, I did browse the brother linux drivers
27 > here:
28 >
29 > http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/download_prn.html
30 >
31 > So, I guess I'm looking for advice on rolling my own hacked
32 > ebuild for this brother printer, or did I miss how all Brother
33 > printers are supported on gentoo?
34 >
35 > Looking in CUPS, I did not see
38 For my Brother printers, having net-print/cups and
39 net-print/foomatic-filters, is sufficient. I'm not doing anything with
40 scanning or the like, though.
41
42 Isn't there a page on one of the Gentoo wikis for this? At the very
43 least, there's the printer compatibility database[1] at the Linux
44 foundation. (Apparently, that's where linuxprinting.org went.)
45
46 [1] http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/database/databaseintro
49 :wq