From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving / around...
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 11:42:02
1 meino.cramer@×××.de writes:
2
3 > I also cannot evaluate the real impact the position of the /-partition
4 > on the harddisk has on system performance. I read about it years ago
5 > and since than I always put the partitions always in the sequence of
6 > "boot","swap","root","home" onto the harddisks. May be its only a
7 > tradition nowadays... ;)
8
9 I used to do this, too. Until I started using LVM, which made things much
10 easier for me. Now I can create as much partitions as I want, and resize
11 them while the system is running.
12
13 > Do you know of any other kind of data beside databses, which may be
14 > machinedependant or cause trouble while migrating to 64bit?
15
16 No, I think in a typical setup that's all to care about. But there might
17 still be other software where this is not the case, so I would at least
18 maek a backup of /var just in case.
19
20 Wonko