From: "Yuri K. Shatroff" <yks-uno@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel 3.8 and external drivers
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 13:00:26
1 On 11.03.2013 03:05, Daniel Wagener wrote:
2 > On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 21:53:42 +0100
3 > Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Am 10.03.2013 19:28, schrieb Daniel Wagener:
6 >>> Hello,
7 >>>
8 >>> I ran into some trouble about an hour ago…
9 >>>
10 >>> My workstation has an onboard Realtek Ethernet which only works
11 >>> with the r8168 driver. Unfortunately, this driver is not in the
12 >>> kernel, but available to be compiled as a kernel module. (I guess
13 >>> because of som patents) That worked for quite some time, until i
14 >>> thought "hey, you got an hour of time, your workstation is still on
15 >>> 3.7.4, why don't you just upgrade it to 3.8.2?" So I did, only to
16 >>> find out that Linus and his friends changed the way drivers are
17 >>> initialized… (__devinit got unsupported for example)
18 >>>
19 >>> Of course, the guys who wrote that r8169 have not changed their
20 >>> code yet.
21 >>>
22 >>> tl;dr:
23 >>> My network is broken since 3.8.0.
24 >>>
25 >>> So for an immediate fix I am emerging 3.7.10 (since emerge
26 >>> --depclean deleted the Kernel source when it found the source fo
27 >>> 3.7.8 which got removed as soon as 3.8.2 was emerged…) to get it
28 >>> working again. For the long run im thinking of buying a PCI(e) card
29 >>> with Kernel support. Or maybe, if I find some time I will fix the
30 >>> driver myself.
31 >>>
32 >>> My question now is:
33 >>> Who should I talk to so something like this does not happen again?
34 >>> A certain gentoo dev, who could issue warnings on emerging kernels,
35 >>> something like excerpts from the changelog? Myself, because I
36 >>> missed what I described above? The devs of the r8169?
37 >>> Linus & co for breaking things?
38 >>> Myself bcause I forgot something else?
39 >>> Realtek?
40 >>> Or someone completely different?
41 >>>
42 >> so, you are using a superfluous external driver. Despite the fact that
43 >> external drivers are prone to breaking you insist on using the latest
44 >> kernel, instead using the latest kernel of one of the stable kernel
45 >> series like 3.4. To add insult to injury you remove kernels after
46 >> installing instead of after testing.
47 >
48 > well… I guess that sums it up… :(
51 sorry for breaking in, but...
52 (to Volker Armin Hemmann)
53
54 1. If this driver is superfluous as you say, then why does it ever exist
55 in portage?
56
57 2. Since it does exist, then probably it would be much nicer to user to
58 show him a notice when he (user) tries to compile it on a kernel which
59 has native support for the device, or moreover an unsupported kernel
60 installed, than blame user for that?
61
62 3. Why does the ebuild *not* check for supported kernel version or
63 breaking APIs/ABIs?
64
65 4. How and why would you expect to force all users to grep thru kernel
66 src in search for a driver they might need, especially when the portage
67 explicitly lists this driver? Also sometimes kernel drivers' description
68 is not quite consistent and it is not easy to figure out whether it
69 supports exactly yours card/chip/device, or moreover find it by grep.
70
71 5. After all, linux and gentoo in particular are *not*
72 developer-only-oriented systems, and it is up to maintainers or whomever
73 to make them more user-friendly. Yes, it is not fair of a user to blame
74 someone for breaking APIs etc. but neither it is fair to blame the user
75 for not knowing everything as I bet nobody knows everything about linux
76 kernel.
79 Best wishes,
80 Yuri K. Shatroff