From: Dave Jones <Dave.Jones@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Questions about emerge -e world
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 01:29:48
1 Iain Buchanan wrote on 02/06/06 02:55:
2 > On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 20:28 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
3 >> 3) A vaguely related item... will it make any noticable difference if
4 >>I rebuild my kernel with gcc.3.4.5 and reboot at the end of the process?
5 >>I may as well upgrade the entire system.
6
7 > If you've updated the rest of your system to 3.4.5, then do the kernel
8 > as well. Especially if you have proprietary modules, like vmware,
9 > ati-drivers, etc; or extra modules like ndiswrapper. Make sure you
10 > compile these modules after you compile your kernel, but before you
11 > reboot.
12
13 VMWare is a problem, it looks at uname, so you can only update it to use
14 your latest kernel *after* a reboot. PITA.
15
16 nvidia-kernel uses the kernel that symlink /usr/src/linux points to, so
17 you can re-emerge ndvidia-kernel before a reboot. YMMV.
18
19 Cheers, Dave
20 --
21 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list