From: Dr Rainer Woitok <rainer.woitok@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo-User@××××××××××××.Org
Subject: [gentoo-user] What groups should user "root" be in?
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 08:25:17
1 Greetings,
2
3 still hunting down the reasons for my laptop not producing any sound, I
4 have meanwhile found reports on the web "no sound even though root is in
5 group audio" or "Dbus doesn't "care" who root is -- it checks the ident-
6 ity of the account that requested an action, and if that account isn't
7 allowed to perform that action, the request is denied" [1].
8
9 I can't remember ever having manually added user "root" to any groups
10 since I installed Gentoo on my laptop (as opposed to adding my own user-
11 id to quite some groups)m and these are the few groups "root" is into:
12
13 $ id root
14 uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root),1(bin),2(daemon),3(sys),4(adm),6(disk),10(wheel),11(floppy),26(tape),27(video)
15 $
16
17 Should there be more? In particular, should "root" be in group "audio"?
18
19 Sincerely,
20 Rainer
21