From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] coexisting GCC versions
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 08:41:24
1 On Sonntag 28 Juni 2009, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Sunday 28 June 2009 05:47:23 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > On Sonntag 28 Juni 2009, Alex Schuster wrote:
4 > > > Volker Armin Hemmann writes:
5 > > > > On Sonntag 28 Juni 2009, Alex Schuster wrote:
6 > > > >> Or keep 4.3 as default, I don't think you could run into problems.
7 > > > >
8 > > > > he will over time. If you switch default compiler emerge -s world has
9 > > > > to be done.
10 > > >
11 > > > According to Alan McKinnon's (and my own experience), this is not
12 > > > necessary, unless there are ABI changes. But there were none between
13 > > > 4.1 and 4.3.
14 > > >
15 > > > http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-user@l.g.o/msg83724.html
16 > > >
17 > > > Wonko
18 > >
19 > > you don't have to compile between 4.2.0 and 4.2.1 - sure.
20 > >
21 > > But with 4.2 to 4.3 I only got a stable system after compiling everything
22 > > with the same compiler. So whatever Alan says - I know how borked my box
23 > > was with half of the libs compiled by one compiler and the rest by the
24 > > other.
25 >
26 > That's interesting. I run ~amd64 here and update almost daily - so I got
27 > practically every gcc version that hit the tree since 3.3 at some stage.
28 > And I never had the problem you describe.
29
30 yeah, me too ;)
33 > It's likely that you have a set of libs that indeed *are* sensitive to
34 > different gcc versions, and I'm not using those libs (so I don't get the
35 > problems).
36
37 probably, yes.
40 > I wonder if it would be worth the effort to investigate this further and
41 > isolate problem packages.
42
43 I don't really think so. emerge -e system or emerge -e world aren't such hard
44 to type - and you can do it in the background. Just open all apps you plan to
45 use in the next couple of hours ;)