From: "Александър Л. Димитров" <aleks_d@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Stop net.eth0 from starting?
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2007 13:45:53
1 On 08:47 Thu 02 Aug , Dan Cowsill wrote:
2 > I've got wifi configured with madwifi and use my wifi interface a lot
3 > more than the ethernet I had thought that removing net.eth0 from
4 > rc-update, but that didn't seem to work. Every time I booted, the
5 > interface tried to go up and get dhcp information. I then read about
6 > and used a preup function to check that interfaces are actually
7 > connected before they are brought up, and this essentially solves the
8 > problem. It occurs to me that it would just be a whole lot easier and
9 > cleaner if net.eth0 just didn't try to start at all, but I haven't
10 > found any way to do this short of removing the init.d script from
11 > rc-update.
12 >
13 > My question is, is there any way to stop net.eth0 from starting
14 > besides ethtool's preup function?
15
16 There's yet another solution to this problem:
17
18 $ cat net
19 config_eth0=( null )
20
21 So just set the configuration for the interface to `null' so it doesn't
22 do atything when brought up at boot time.
23
24 Regards,
25 Aleks