From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] non-existing/masked ebuilds during upgrade from 2005.1 to 2006.1
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 17:30:53
1 On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 12:54 -0400, de Almeida, Valmor F. wrote:
2 > emerge -eav world
3 >
4 > The corresponding system emerge finished okay. At the beginning of the
5 > output of the aforementioned command I get.
6 >
7 > Calculating world dependencies \
8 > !!! Ebuilds for the following packages are either all
9 > !!! masked or don't exist:
10 > media-video/nvidia-glx media-video/nvidia-kernel app-shells/csh
11 > x11-misc/gtkdiff sci-libs/lapack
12 >
13 > I can't find sci-libs/lapack (emerge --search lapack). Could someone
14 > tell me how is portage looking for it? I think I had it installed
15 > before
16 > the upgrade. None of the nvidia stuff is currently installed but were
17 > installed before the system emerge. I can't find gtkdiff but csh is
18 > indeed masked:
19
20 Put simply, your current system is old, but it appears you've updated
21 your portage tree. Portage is telling you that you have these packages
22 installed but it can't find them in the portage tree. For example,
23 nvidia-glx has long been replaced by nvidia-drivers.
24
25 In the Gentoo world, you stand to suffer a bit if you wait a long time
26 between updates. If you truly intend to keep your system "old", I would
27 recommend you make a snapshot of the portage tree as well as your
28 DISTDIR as those files may no longer be available as well.
29
30 But if you truly want to do an "upgrade", would it not be better to do a
31 "emerge -Duva" world as opposed to "emerge -eva". "-eva" isn't
32 upgrading anything, it's just re-building what you already have, but
33 since many things you have currently no longer exist in portage, it's
34 likely better to -u instead of -e.
35
36 p.s.
37 Seems like a few people are just now "upgrading" to 2006.1 when 2007.0
38 is soon to be released... why are you a year behind?
41 Albert W. Hopkins
44 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list