From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] glibc 2.4 - "emere -e world" necessary?
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 11:09:17
1 On Friday 05 May 2006 08:12, Graham Murray wrote:
2 > "Hemmann, Volker Armin" <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> writes:
3 > > glibc updates NEVER need a rebuild.
4 > >
5 > > Only if you change from gcc 3.X to 4.Y you have to rebuild.
6 > >
7 > > But not because of a glibc update.
8 >
9 > That is not always true. A glibc upgrade *can* require that *some*
10 > packages are re-built. I am not an expert on Elf so this may not be
11 > 100% correct. The problem can come from symbol versioning, where the
12 > package is linked against static linked library. If this static
13 > library contains references to symbols in glibc for which the glibc
14 > upgrade has provided a new version, then sometimes both the static
15 > library and applications linking against it need to be rebuilt.
16
17 a problem of a few, static linked apps - most of them are binary anyway - does
18 not excuse a whole emerge -e world.
19
20 btw, I did lots of glibc updates and never broke anything.
21 --
22 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list