From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Memory cards and deleting files.
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 18:52:29
1 antlists wrote:
2 > On 22/06/2020 11:56, Walter Dnes wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 11:28:17AM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote
4 >>
5 >>> The SD standard says >33G should use exFAT, this is why many devices
6 >>> state they only support cards up to 32G. The really mean they only
7 >>> support FAT. My Dashcam is like this but it happily works with a 128G
8 >>> card, once I reformatted it with FAT.
9 >> Warning; that still does not change the fact that each individual file
10 >> cannot exceed 4G in size on regular FAT.
11 >>
12 > Warning 2: I did exactly that, and it LOOKED like it was working
13 > happily, until it overflowed some internal limit and my 1G card turned
14 > into a 128M card or whatever it was. Have you actually TESTED that
15 > card IN THE DASHCAM and made sure it can actually use that 128G? Or
16 > will it only be able to use 4G of that card?
17 >
18 > Oh - and 32GB cards are physically different from 128GB cards because
19 > they work to different standards. That's why so many of the old "real
20 > SD" card devices only ever use up to 2GB. You CAN (or could) get 4GB
21 > SD cards, but they were rare, so most people couldn't find them. The
22 > SD standard was replaced by SDHC, which is why your fileformat changes
23 > at 32GB, which is the maximum capacity of an SDHC card. Above 32GB
24 > it's SDXC, which is another reason why sticking a larger card into a
25 > device which says "up to 32GB" is a bad idea - it may not be able to
26 > handle SDXC.
27 >
28 > Cheers,
29 > Wol
30
31 I recall them being called something different.  I'm in no hurry to buy
32 a card just to test tho.  I'll have to find a good excuse to buy one.  lol
33
34 Dale
35