From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Portage performance dropped considerably
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 19:29:01
1 Am 26.01.2014 18:42, schrieb Alan McKinnon:
2 > On 26/01/2014 17:24, eroen wrote:
3 >> On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 16:35:43 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras
4 >> <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> Anyone else noticed this yet? Some portage update seems to have made
6 >>> "emerge -uDN @world" perform about 10 times slower than before. It
7 >>> used to take seconds, now it takes about 4 minutes only to tell me
8 >>> that there's nothing to update. And it does that every time, even
9 >>> directly in succession and with the caches warm.
10 >>>
11 >>> Is it just me?
12 >> You don't say when your baseline was, but the complexity of resolving
13 >> the package tree has increased quite a bit over the last year due to
14 >> new features like automatic rebuilds of consumers after library updates.
15 >>
16 >> Another somewhat common cause of sudden slowdowns is how portage
17 >> resolves conflicts (like packageA requiring an old version of libraryB),
18 >> which is rather time-consuming. You can try adding --backtrack=0 to the
19 >> emerge command to make it stop and print an error message when
20 >> encountering a conflict rather than look for a solution. Then you can
21 >> 'help' out by manually resolving any conflicts by adding package
22 >> versions to /etc/portage/package.mask . Preferably try this *after*
23 >> running an update, so your system is up-to-date against your local
24 >> version of the gentoo tree, otherwise "normal" simple-to-resolve
25 >> conflicts might cause confusion. ;-)
26 >>
27 > I've been noticing these slowdowns for a few months now too. I'm
28 > somewhat conflicted in my head about them, as unresolved blockers is now
29 > something that happens very rarely. How often did we do this in the past:
30 >
31 > emerge -avuND world
32 > stare at output trying to figure out wtf?
33 > emerge -C <some problem package>
34 > emerge -avuND world
35 > emerge problem package back if world update didn't already do it
36 >
37 > That used to happen A LOT, and it took much longer than 4 minutes.
38 > Nowadays it happens seldom but the resolution does take 4 minutes.
39 >
40 > So I dunno, it's annoying to have to wait, but it also prevents a lot of
41 > wasted time by doing what software can do so well - detecting dependency
42 > issues.
47 I disagree with you here. You still get a lot of unresolved blockers and
48 other problems you have to deal with manually AND portage is unbearable
49 slow now.
50
51 It never was really fast - back in the day pkgcore run cycles around it,
52 too bad it has died a slow death.
53
54 Now you get a really slow portage, making updates an horrendous
55 experience plus most of the same old breakage.
56
57 The situations is really really bad.