From: burlingk@×××××××××.mil
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] 2 to 3??
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 11:27:22
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Abraham Marín Pérez [mailto:tecnic5@××××××××.com]
3 > Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 7:43 PM
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 2 to 3??
8 > burlingk@×××××××××.mil escribió:
9 > >
10 > >> -----Original Message-----
11 > >> From: lunarcrisis@×××××.com [mailto:lunarcrisis@×××××.com] On
12 > >> Behalf Of Henk Boom
13 > >> Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 11:08 AM
14 > >> To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
15 > >> Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 2 to 3??
18 > > The four freedoms:
19 > > Freedom 0: The freedom to run a program for any purpose.
20 > Freedom 1: To
21 > > study the way a program works, and adapt it to your needs.
22 > Freedom 2:
23 > > To redistribute copies so that you can help your neighbors.
24 > Freedom 3:
25 > > Improve the program, and release your improvements to
26 > > the public, so that the whole community benefits.
27 > > For freedom 1 and 3 to work, the code must be open.
28 > >
29 > > Freedom 1 is just as important as the other three. Freedom one is
30 > > almost eliminated in GPLv3. Freedom One is the freedom that was
31 > > most whole heartedly expressed in the original manifesto.
32 > >
33 > > Freedom 3 is the one that GPLv3 is making most important
34 > now. It does
35 > > so to the detriment of the other three.
39 > I'm not very into licenses and hence my question may seem evident (or
40 > even stupid) but still... does not Freedom 3 imply Freedom 1? I mean,
41 > how can you improve a program without being able to study it?
42
43 :)
44 The freedoms were listed before any license was written.
45 They were the credo that the GNU foundation was founded upon.
46 They were still the credo when the name became the Free Software Foundation.
47 ^_^
48
49 Now the direction of the organization has apparently changed.
50 They are more interested in slowing down the competition than
51 helping the community. When they first started, the competition
52 was still thought of as a part of the community. :/
53
54 I worry.
59 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list