From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ntp-client starting before net.eth0
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 21:57:28
1 Daevid Vincent schreef:
2 > What determines the order that things in rc-update (/etc/init.d) start?
3 >
4 > I run ifplugd, and I notice that (as the title says), ntp-client is starting
5 > before net.eth0 and therefore can't find the pool.ntp.org site (of course).
6 >
7 > /etc/init.d/ntp-client shows
8 >
9 > depend()
10 > {
11 > before cron portmap
12 > need net
13 > use dns logger
14 > }
15 >
16 > So shouldn't it wait till the network has started and I have an IP address
17 > from ifplugd?
18
19 Well, isn't the problem here that the network isn't being requested to
20 start (until ntp tries to make a connection, which of course attempts to
21 start it, but then it's too late)?
22
23 Look here:
26 > locutus ~ # rc-update show
27 > net.ath0 |
28 > net.eth0 |
29 > net.eth1 |
30 > net.eth2 |
31 > net.lo | boot
32 > net.ppp0 |
33 > net.wlan0 |
34
35 net.lo starts at boot, but no other network service is being started at all.
36
37 > netmount | default
38 > nscd |
39 > ntp-client | default
40
41 and then here's ntp-client, which needs the network that isn't started.
42
43 On the other hand, here's my setup:
44
45 rc-update show
46 net.eth0 | default
47 net.lo | boot
48
49 Both net.lo and net.eth0 are being started, so by the time we get to
50
51 ntp-client | default
52
53 it's capable of making a connection to the server.
54
55 So I would suggest
56
57 rc-update add net.eth0 default