From: Laurence Perkins <lperkins@×××××××.net>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Separate /usr partition
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 18:15:53
1 >-----Original Message-----
2 >From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
3 >Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2022 10:35 AM
4 >To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 >Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Separate /usr partition
6 >
7 >On Thu, 15 Sep 2022 05:00:25 -0500, Dale wrote:
8 >
9 >> As I said, I do all mine by hand. I don't use make install etc.
10 >> After I build my kernel, I copy it and name it something like this,
11 >> from /boot.
12 >
13 >[snip]
14 >> Once I get that done, I then build the init thingy. This is Neil's
15 >> command that he posted. From my understanding, the kernel symlink
16 >> needs to point to the correct kernel version.
17 >>
18 >> dracut --kver=$(cat include/config/kernel.release)
19 >
20 >This should be run from within the kernel source directory. It picks up the version from the source so the symlink is irrelevant.
21 >
22 >> That gives a init thingy with a somewhat generic name. I then rename
23 >> it to match the kernel, looks something like this from /boot.
24 >
25 >If you use make install to install the kernel, dracut gives the initramfs a matching name.
26 >
27 >--
28 >Neil Bothwick
29 >
30 >Time is the best teacher; unfortunately it kills all its students.
31 >
32 Note also that the "init thingy" is nothing more than a little filesystem which contains everything you'd need to make sure was on your root partition if you were attempting to boot without one.
33
34 Building one yourself is generally pretty trivial if you don't like what dracut/genkernel produce. Utilities, kernel modules, and a script to set up your main system and switch to it.
35
36 At the other end of the spectrum, if you have enough memory, you can just put your whole root filesystem into it and run from there... Did that once for a secure processing system. Everything up through X11 and a web browser all in the initramfs.
37
38 LMP