From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage somwhat out of whack
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 11:51:53
1 Mike Williams schreef:
2 > On Wednesday 26 October 2005 01:37, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
3 >
4 >> =app-office/openoffice-bin-2.0.0
7 > Binary package, nothing to compile, no way to fix broken binaries.
10 >> =dev-java/sun-jdk-1.5.0.05
13 > Binary package.
16 >> =kde-base/kdelibs-3.3.2-r9
19 > It's installed, but no longer in the tree. Therefor to fix any broken
20 > binaries you will have to upgrade.
23 >> =www-client/opera-8.50
26 > Binary package.
29 >> These are failing for a variety of reasons, which I think are also
30 >> references to obsolete libraries.
33 > The 3 binary packages you listed almost always reference libraries
34 > that don't exist. I have the same problem with OOo and opera, both
35 > work OK though (not that I actually use opera).
38 To solve this (preventing revdep-rebuild from searching binaries that
39 you know exist and cannot successfully be rebuilt by the tool), the
40 thing to do is to add a variable to either the command line or
41 /etc/make.conf:
42
43 (from man revdep-rebuild)
44
45 revdep-rebuild no longer uses hardcoded paths. To change the default
46 behavior the following variables can be changed by the user.
47
48 SEARCH_DIRS_MASK - List of directories to not search
49
50 Mine excludes
51
52 SEARCH_DIRS_MASK="/opt/OpenOffice.org /opt/sun-jre-bin-1.5.0.03
53 /usr/lib/openoffice"
54
55 (because I don't use Opera).
56
57 So java and OO.o don't come up on my revdep-rebuild -p searches, because
58 it would be pointless.
59
60 It's worth considering creating such a setting yourself, adding the
61 directories of any additional -bin files you may use (firefox,
62 thunderbird, etc).
63
64 HTH,
65 Holly