From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Akonadi losing mail
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 05:54:17
1 On Wednesday 24 Aug 2011 23:30:16 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Now I can't even reply to the several excellent answers already
3 > received - I just watched kmail2 delete my entire gentoo-user folder.
4 >
5 > A thorough search of my home dir fails to reveal where mails are
6 > hiding. I created a new Maildir (the real one, not that stupid mixed
7 > KDE thing) in .kde4/share/apps/kmail/maildir and copied a bunch of
8 > stuff there. It got moved per the kmail2 interface - the originals and
9 > folders were no longer in the original place, they could be viewed in
10 > the new maildir resource.
11 >
12 > But they could not be found on disk. And then, as I watched, the
13 > entire folder tree was removed from the sidebar one folder at a time
14 > leaving only the top-most folder. There is nothing on disk.
15 >
16 > It gets worse. I have a folder for work stuff, counting the total
17 > column for each folder shows there are 6562 mails. find and wc on disk
18 > returns 4049. So there are 2513 files not on disk that should be.
19 >
20 > I have no idea where they could be.
21 > They are not in .local/share/.local-mail.directory/
22 > They are not in .kde4/share/apps/kmail/
23 > I do not find cache copies in /tmp or /var/tmp
24 > I conclude that there must be copies in the mysql that akonadi uses (I
25 > thought that was only for email metadata....)
26 > But they have to be somewhere as kmail2 is showing them.
27
28 They say that kmail-2 has a completely different storage architecture ...
29
30 Have you looked in the mysql tables to see what is hanging in there?
31 (clutching at straws)
34 > I also discovered that kmail2 doesn't do changing of IMAP folders at
35 > all, it seems to be strictly read-only. I can create folders in that
36 > area to my heary's content, nothing shows on disk. Kmail2 doesn't seem
37 > to support server-side at all. I can create folders in claws easily
38 > enough and they show up, but not the other way round. It doesn't seem
39 > to be a delayed update either - 12 hours later is a bit too long for
40 > that.
41
42 My previous response was about Kmail-1. Kmail-2 should *not* be used
43 according to one developer's blog (4 months old):
44
45 https://thomasmcguire.wordpress.com/category/kmail/
46
47 I've seen quite a lot of complains about slowness and missing local folders
48 like ... Inbox! when I googled for it.
49
50 Good luck in getting your messages back.
51 --
52 Regards,
53 Mick