From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] *** WARNING : 2.6.30 kernel hangs and destroys filesystems on old hardware
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 09:49:08
1 Was there any oops evident (in dmesg) and reiserfs involved? This is
2 whats biting me at the moment on 2 systems with 2.6.29/30.
3
4 BilLK
5
6 On Thu, 2009-07-09 at 13:13 +0200, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
7 > Hi,
8 >
9 > I just want to warn everybody about the 2.6.30 kernel
10 > (gentoo-sources-2.6.30-r2)
11 >
12 > First, it seems to run fine on modern hardware with SATA drives
13 > (AMD64 in my case)
14 >
15 > BUT, on two old machines with SMP and IDE drivers (different
16 > controllers) the kernel randomly hangs and what is worse,
17 > it has destroyed a filesystem in such a way that even fsck
18 > (from a rescue cd with an 2.6.29 kernel) hangs.
19 > I had to make a pristine filesystem on that partition.
20 >
21 > There are some reports on the kernel mailing list and the
22 > kernel bug tracker which talk about similar problems
23 > on some hardware.
24 >
25 > If some has more news (e.g. on how to fix that)
26 > I'd be very interested.
27 > Thanks,
28 > Helmut.
31 William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>