From: "张韡武" <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] how does a pipe work? Which process wait for which one, or they don't actually wait each other?
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 13:22:29
1 Hello. This might be OT but I am pretty interested in this and being
2 unlucky not able to find a real in-depth explanation of pipe on the
3 Internet.
4
5 How does pipe actually work? I mean, when there is a pipe like this:
6 $ appA | appB
7 What happen if appA produced output when appB is still busy processing
8 the data and did not require any data from input?
9
10 possibility 1) as long as appA can get the resource (CPU?), it simply
11 keep outputing data, and this data is cached in memory, as long as there
12 is enough memory, and will finally feed to appB when appB finished his
13 business and begin to accept more data;
14
15 possibility 2) as long as appB stop requiring data, appA is suspended,
16 the resource goes to appB. appA is only given resource (CPU?) when appB
17 finished his business and begin to accept more data;
18
19 Which one is true? I know usually 1) and 2) makes no difference to most
20 users, that's why the detail explanation of "1) or 2)" is so hard to
21 google out.
22
23 In my case appA gets the data from another host who have very short
24 timeout settings, appB is used to compress the data obtained from appA.
25 the compression is very difficult, usually at 30Kbps, the network is
26 very fast, around 10Mbps. appB compress the data tunck by tunck, if
27 Linux actually works in mode 2), the network connection is dropped when
28 the interval of two tuncks of appB compressing data is longer then the
29 network timeout setting. appA acutally don't know how to restart
30 connection from where it was dropped, thus understanding this difference
31 makes sense to me.
32
33 I made several experiements and my appA and appB both works fine, but I
34 don't dare to share this appA/B to others unless I get the mechnism
35 understood.
36
37 Thank you in advance.
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list