From: Glenn Enright <elinar@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub on a SATA drive
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 20:32:03
1 On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 05:31, maxim wexler wrote:
2
3 > I note grub doesn't like root(sd0,1), returns "Error
4 > 23: Error while parsing number".
5 >
6 > But what do I call it? hd0 and hd1 are taken.
7 >
8 > -mw
9
10 Just to make sure, remember that grub has to be installed in the boot sector
11 of your drive and it needs a built in reference so it can find the config
12 file and stage2-*s. Assuming you followed the install guides on gentoo.org
13 you would have looked through the following
14 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/2005.0/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=10#doc_chap2
15
16 Also consider that grub doesn't understand sda or hda terminology, only
17 numbers. The stuff on the kernel line is for the kernel to pick up and use in
18 conjunction with your /etc/fstab file
19 --
20 Sigh. I like to think it's just the Linux people who want to be on
21 the "leading edge" so bad they walk right off the precipice.
22 -- Craig E. Groeschel
23 --
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list