From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Handbook missing portage unpacking
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 16:41:23
1 On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 11:43 AM, Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On 11/10/2014 21:13, James wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Hello,
5 >>
6 >> I was just following the handbook for an amd64 install; I have
7 >> not looked at the handbook in a while. I downloaded the stage3
8 >> tarball and the portage-latest tarball at the same time, like I always
9 >> have done. The handbook give instructions for untaring the stage3, in
10 >> section 5, but not the portage tarball, or did I miss something?
13 > It specifies that emerge-webrsync be used, automating the process of
14 > fetching and extracting a portage tarball.
15
16 Correct. This is much more efficient than rsync when you're starting
17 from an empty tree, which was one of the reasons the old procedure
18 used to recommend using a portage tarball. emerge-webrsync works well
19 and is easier to use anyway.
22 Rich