From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Unikernels from Gentoo
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 21:14:01
1 Hello,
2
3 http://unikernel.org/blog/2017/unikernels-are-secure
4
5 https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Unikernels
6
7 Has anyone built a unikernel-image, from gentoo as the seed OS?
8 I have no interests for commercial or vendor-constrained approaches to
9 unikernels. But, to me, unikernels offer a nice and compatible pathway
10 for many in the gentoo community. I have a looser focus on Unikernel
11 that may of the Xen and unikernel purist.
12
13 Unikernels may be of interests to those interest in bubble-tight
14 security, performance, minimization, clusters, vm, containers
15 or just running on less expensive or older hardware, depending
16 on what codes you include. My goals are hundreds of images that run on a
17 variety of low power resources, but mostly focused on 64 bit processors,
18 DSP or many forms of resource intensive system. The super-fast boot
19 semantic so lots of boards can brought up or shutdown, as desire
20 has me evaluation a variety of traditional as well as minimal boot
21 strapping codes as the kernel-seed that ties into the always on ether
22 (ipmi, coreboot, misc-firmware, efi etc etc).
23
24 Is there anyone using a gentoo centric approach to rolling
25 (gentoo) unikernels? Ultimately once a workstation (cross)tool-chain
26 is establish, with flexibility, it may not an issue to maintain
27 dozens of images depending on hardware diversification. amd6 and arm64
28 are my current evaluation/testing architects.
31 There are (2) approaches that are most common from my work and
32 research::
33
34 1. No software can be added, only data so the frameworks (software
35 stacks) have to be preconceived and included in the image. This
36 approach would eventually require one to develop dozens or hundreds of
37 fully-self-contained images. But with full boot in the order of a few
38 seconds, it might be a wonderful approach to managing resources securely.
41 dev-util/catalyst maybe useful for generating this sorts
42 of unikernel images. Surely a stage-4 approach is viable.
45 2. Flexible so you can add codes, modify frameworks and software stacks,
46 without rebuilding everything into the boot image. This is ideal, but
47 may open up more attack surfaces. This would be more similar to
48 embedded-gentoo or minimized gentoo system. I have little experience
49 with this approach.
52 Another wonderful benefit for Unikernels, is HPC and other linux
53 clusters; just simple fly as Unikernels leave more processor/memory
54 available for tasks. Alpine/docker is dominating this space for now, but
55 it's a natural pathway for gentooers to follow, imho.
56
57 So if you run into github, webpages or other relevant resources, please
58 drop me a line, or post to this thread.
61 TIA,
62 James