From: Lord Sauron <lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Xgl, KDE, gnome
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 19:20:49
1 On 3/30/06, Roy Wright <royw@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > After playing with the Kororaa Xgl Live CD, then with Xorg 7 entering
5 > ebuild testing,
6 > I decided to give Xgl a try.
7
8 Neat-o. Is it in the ~x86 area?
9
10 > The xorg 7 upgrade went extremely smooth. Big THANK YOU to those
11 > responsible!
12 >
13 > The wiki instructions for installing Xgl worked too.
14
15 I'm extremely interested in Xgl. I didn't know it was hanging around
16 Gentoo. Can you send me the link?
17
18 > Then I discovered what gnome-window-decorator does in KDE. Not pretty. :-(
19 > I figured I could live:
20 > * with old fashioned decorations,
21 > * without my background image,
22 > * with my panel stretching across both monitors,
23 > * with windows opening centered on the desktop vs on a display,
24 > * with some brain dead right mouse desktop popup menu.
25
26 Can you try and get me some more detailed info? I'm a information
27 gatherer for the Xgl project. I'm supposed to be ensuring that it has
28 perfect integration with KDE.
29
30 > But I couldn't live with a dead X the next morning. So bye-bye Xgl.
31
32 Even more interesting... Could you get some more info for me there
33 too? Perhaps a few clips from the log file?
34
35 > OK, off to the net to see what I could find, which distilled down to use
36 > gnome.
37 > Next gen KDE should have similar features.
38 >
39 > Well, I've never really gave gnome a try, so maybe it's not as bad as it
40 > looks. :-)
41
42 It's not *bad,* but I find it incredibly bland. It's useable, though
43 I can't say it's much more...
44
45 > Installed gnome.
46
47 Weee... have fun?
48
49 > Now what I'd really like is to be able to switch between X+KDE and Xgl+gnome
50 > sessions. I don't really see how to do this with one display manager.
51 > Not sure
52 > how to configure to run multiple display managers. Currently I use xdm
53 > to run
54 > kdm.
55 >
56 > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
57 >
58 > Thank you,
59 > Roy
60 >
61 > --
62 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
69 GCS d-(++) s+: a? C++ UL+>++++ P+
70 L++ E--- W+(+++) N++ o? K? w--- O? M+
71 V? PS- PE+ Y-(--) PGP- t+++ 5? X R tv-- b+
72 DI+++ D+ G e* h- !r !y
73 ========= END GCv3.12 ========
76 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list