From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Unwelcomed non-native language support
Date: Sat, 30 May 2015 09:32:39
1 Am Sat, 30 May 2015 11:36:28 +0300
2 schrieb gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>:
3
4 [...]
5 > As I still had a suspicion that those non-Eglish entries in the Firefox
6 > menu remain because of some cash issues, I have just launched another
7 > instance of the Firefox browser using a separate profile.
8 >
9 > Well, in a separate profile, the Firefox menu is in English while
10 > in the default profile it is in a non-English language.
11 >
12 > So, it could be a cash issue: I have unmerged the gettext while
13 > running Firefox and so its substitutions could be left somewhere
14 > in cash...
15 >
16 > P.S. As I have already described it earlier, this issue with the Firefox
17 > menu is only related to the menu I get while right-clicking on
18 > a youtube video in Firefox. (All the other menus is in English,
19 > as desired.)
20
21 (Note: the word you are looking for is "cache".)
22
23 I strongly suspect that the application doing the translating doesn't even use
24 gettext. Besides which, I'm surprised you're not getting crashes from
25 applications not finding the gettext libraries, which points to them not
26 actually using it. You can use "emerge --depclean -pv gettext" to determine
27 which do. In my case, firefox does *not* show up, despite me using nls
28 (neither does adobe-flash, in case you're using that).
29
30 (I also thought that maybe firefox bundles gettext, but the only references I
31 could find on developer.mozilla.org pertain to localising websites with php
32 and the like, and not to firefox-internal technologies.)
33
34 So it seems to me that gettext is a false lead and that the root of your problem
35 lies somewhere else. This document shows how websites can localise their
36 content:
37 https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web_Localizability/Creating_localizable_web_applications.
40 Marc Joliet
41 --
42 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
43 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup