From: Matthias Langer <mlangc@×××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] # users gives strange results
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 01:46:39
1 On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 18:51 -0500, Willie Wong wrote:
2 > On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 04:51:31AM +0100, Matthias Langer wrote:
3 > > Recently i've got a power failure while one of my gentoo boxes was up
4 > > and running. Since then, the users command seems not to work correctly
5 > > anymore, as it claims for users to be logged in that almost certainly
6 > > aren't and don't have a single process running. Besides of this issue,
7 > > everthing seems to work as expected. Can anybody here tell me where to
8 > > look for the source of this problem ?
9 > >
10 > > Thanks, Matthias
13 > I am running into a similar problem recently. I found out that sometimes, after
14 > updating 'system', init would restart. During an recent upgrade, after init
15 > restarts, the users that were logged-in at that time become "ghosts" of some sort.
16 > 'w' would show the correct number of people logged in, but some other commands
17 > won't. It might have something to do with the fact that wtmp is not registering the
18 > logouts from thost users. If I issue 'last | head' i would see something to that
19 > effect.
20 >
21 > I am wondering perhaps removing /var/log/wtmp would solve the issue (you might also
22 > want to touch /var/log/wtmp afterwards). It might require a rebooting (which I haven't
23 > gotten around to doing).
24
25 Well, i tried that after booting into x86-2006.0-minimal. Unfortunatley,
26 that didn't solve my issuses; I found out that my system behaves after
27 the following pattern:
28
29 login with user1:
30 $ users
31 user1
32 $ exit
33
34 login with user2:
35 $users
36 user1 user2
37 $exit
38
39 login with user3:
40 $users
41 user2 user3
42
43 Thus, the system seems to ignore logouts as long as there are not more
44 then two additional logins.
45
46 I've also did a reiserfschk while staying in the live-cd environment,
47 but no corruptions where found ...
50 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list