From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [~and64] Headsup for google-chrome users
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 12:43:41
1 On Friday 22 May 2015 12:09:34 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 22/05/2015 12:44, Mick wrote:
3 > > On Friday 22 May 2015 09:38:46 Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > >> On Fri, 22 May 2015 02:53:17 -0500, Dale wrote:
5 > >>>> So I'm the 3rd one in row to state that I haven't had any deleterious
6 > >>>> effects that I noticed.
7 > >>
8 > >> Make that 4.
9 > >>
10 > >>> When I first emerge a new kernel, I run make mrproper to get a good
11 > >>> clean start.
12 > >>
13 > >> There's no point in that. When you have just emerged the sources, there
14 > >> is nothing for mrproper to remove.
15 > >
16 > > So, coming back to the OP, is it advisable to ignore this message:
17 > No. It's in the ebuild and we assume the ebuild writer had a reason for
18 > putting it there. The usual reason is that upstream has said their code
19 > requires an option to be set.
20 >
21 > Where would you have gotten the idea that ignoring it is good advice?
22
23 Because the emerge did not stop to warn me about it, or require me to
24 acknowledge before proceeding. Furthermore it tells me that bad things may
25 happen, but doesn't explain what kind of bad things, referring to a URL if
26 space does not allow. At this stage I am guessing that chromium's sandboxing
27 mechanism is changed and it now requires a different memory allocation
28 mechanism than what I had previously configured in my kernel. Having to
29 configure my kernel to get a browser working sounds quite intrusive so I am
30 worried some more.
31
32 Looking at the changelog and then at bugs referred to there, I eventually
33 arrived at CVE-2015-1252 [1] where the problem is explained:
34
35 In any case, I think that something like this should invite user input at the
36 start of the ebuild, rather than at the end? I haven't figured out yet if I
37 will need to reinstall chromium after I have reconfigured my kernel ... in
38 which case the warning should definitely come at the start of the ebuild.
39
40 [1] https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2015-1252
43 Regards,
44 Mick