From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] slot conflict - xfce-base/libxfce4util
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2015 17:46:14
1 On 05/09/2015 19:17, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > I'm confused sometimes as to these slot conflicts, eg. I'm getting:
5 It's verbose, but can be understood. Just read each line.
10 > !!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
11 > !!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:
12
13 Here you get a big header notice that there are conflicts. Details to
14 follow.
15
16 > xfce-base/libxfce4util:0
17
18 Then the package involved, followed by more details below, followed by
19 the same thing for the next package that's a blocker (you only have the
20 one here)
21
22 Read the next two sections as the two things that conflict.
23
24 > (xfce-base/libxfce4util-4.10.1:0/0::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
25 > <xfce-base/libxfce4util-4.11 required by (xfce-base/libxfcegui4-4.10.0:0/0::gentoo, installed)
26 > ^ ^^^^
27
28 To have a conflict you need two or more things that oppose. This is the
29 first. It is libxfce4util version 4.10.1 (first line) and it's being
30 pulled in to emerge by libxfcegui4 which wants libxfce4util version 4.11
31 or earlier
34 > (xfce-base/libxfce4util-4.12.1:0/7::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
35 > >=xfce-base/libxfce4util-4.12:= required by (xfce-base/libxfce4ui-4.12.1-r2:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
36
37 This is the second item in the conflict. Now something wants
38 libxfce4util-4.12. That thing is libxfce4ui which wants libxfce4util
39 version 4.12 or later
42 > How do I go about unmerging/selecting one of them?
43
44 You can't have both versions of libxfce4util, so you must break this
45 endless loop, or get rid of one of them.
46
47 You can figure out exactly what is going on by reading the ebuilds. Or
48 you can know your system. These messages are obtuse, and the usual
49 reason is you have done something the ebuild maintainers did not
50 anticipate, like masked some package that is to be updated, or added
51 some ancient legacy package that is holding everything back. Portage
52 does not known this, and cannot read your mind - it's a dumb piece of
53 software and it can only see facts, it can't figure out meaning and it
54 sure cannot discern human intent.
55
56 So until we have real AI and Skynet takes over, I think we are stuck
57 with these errors. It's the price for having the power of portage.
58
59 But look closely at the required bys above.
60 libxfce4ui-4.12.1-r2 makes sense - it's the latest version and a routine
61 upgrade. So everything XFCE should follow, because the maintainers do it
62 right, not so? So why is libxfcegui4 stuck at 4.10.0, a version behind?
63 Maybe someone needs to play catch-up, but lookee here:
64
65 khamul sets # eix libxfcegui4
66 * xfce-base/libxfcegui4
67 Available versions: 4.10.0 4.10.0-r1 {glade startup-notification}
68 Homepage: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/No_homepage
69 http://git.xfce.org/archive/libxfcegui4/
71 plugins (DEPRECATED)
72
73 khamul sets # eix libxfce4ui
74 * xfce-base/libxfce4ui
75 Available versions: 4.10.0 4.12.1-r2 {debug glade +gtk3
76 startup-notification}
77 Homepage: http://www.xfce.org/projects/libxfce4
79 libraries for the Xfce desktop environment
82 Hmmm. libxfcegui4 is old compat code for legacy shit from 3 versions
83 back. I doubt you need it, and if you do, I suggest getting rid of the
84 plugin that's requiring it. Or maybe you emerged it blindly. Either way:
85
86 emerge -avC libxfcegui4
92 Alan McKinnon
93 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com