From: Wolfgang Liebich <wolfgang.liebich@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Bug in JAVA SDK ebuilds?
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 11:36:01
1 Hi,
2 I'm a java developer. Therefor my gentoo box contains different JDK
3 versions, even from different vendors, for doing tests against specific
4 JDKs. I've still installed
5 JDK 1.4, 1.5 and 1.6 from Sun and IBM.
6
7 I'm also using idlj for generating CORBA stubs, and when I wrote a build
8 script to be used for a daily build via cronjob, I noticed a strange
9 problem --- the cron job
10 failed, but if I started the script from my terminal, it worked as designed!
11
12 The problem was that when run from the cron job, ant could not find the
13 idlj executable. This is because cron jobs don't have the full path like
14 interactive shells have.
15 In my interactive path the bin/ directory for the generation 1 system VM
16 was included, so he found idlj. This meant, btw. that even when I wanted
17 to compile with JDK 1.5,
18 the idl4j executable was still the one used for JDK 1.4!
19
20 The reason for that is that for the other java sdk executables there is
21 a symlink in /usr/bin pointing to run-java-tool. This symlink does not
22 exist for idlj - IOW idlj is not in /usr/bin.
23 As soon as I manually made a symlink via "ln -s /usr/bin/run-java-tool
24 /usr/bin/idlj", everything worked as designed.
25
26 Seems like an oversight --- idlj is not the most popular tool around,
27 right? :-)
28 - Ciao,
29 Wolfgang Liebich