From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user]Computer build, was PCIe x1 or PCIe x4 SATA controller card
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 10:02:08
1 Am Wed, Mar 15, 2023 at 05:36:16PM -0500 schrieb Dale:
2 > Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
3
4 > > If you want to save money and aim for a low-cost AMD APU (processor with
5 > > integrated graphics), you can get an older 3000-series Ryzen for a two-digit
6 > > price. It’ll still be much faster than your old FX at a fraction of the
7 > > power consumption. Like the 4300G, which is twice as fast for half the
8 > > electricity. With today’s processors, basically none of the socktetable
9 > > models are too slow unless you have specific performance requirements.
10 > > […]
11 > > Here are some benchmark comparisons from cpubenchmark.net:
12 > > […]
13 > > You can see the increase in performance. My old i5-4590, at half the cores,
14 > > can keep up with your FX, even though it is only 1½ years younger. Ryzens
15 > > used to be more efficient in multi workloads (look at the 2020 entries). But
16 > > I’m not too sure about current generations due to Intel’s big-little
17 > > concept.
18 > >> I was also wondering what a mobo/CPU/memory combo would cost nowadays.
19 > >> Maybe someone who recently built a decent rig recalls how much they paid
20 > >> for those three.  I don't go cheap on power supply but I don't require a
21 > >> lot for a video card or anything.  Some spend half their money on a
22 > >> video card alone but I just don't need anything that fancy.
23 > > Any current Intel non-F CPU (F means no graphics) can cover your graphics
24 > > need. Finally, AMD caught up and started shipping a minimal graphics chip in
25 > > all of their processors with Zen 4, but as I said, that platform is still
26 > > expensive.
27 > >
28 > >> I got a Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 that drives both my monitor and my TVs
29 > >> through a splitter and it does just fine.
30 > > How cute. This should be about twice as fast as the integrated graphics in
31 > > my 8-year-old i5. So you’ll be fine with *any* integrated graphics (which
32 > > will also cut down on idle consuption, compared with a dGPU).
33 > > […]
34 >
35 > This is all good info.  I went to Tom's Hardware and found their list by
36 > computing power.  I try to find a generic power rating since what I use
37 > my rig for is more generic.  No need looking at a chart for gaming.
38 > ;-)  Anyway, I was looking at a somewhat costly Ryzen 7 5800x3d or a
39 > Ryzen 7 7700.
40
41 The 5800x3d got a huge boost from its cache. It may be the most powerful AM4
42 socket processor around. But it is aimed mostly at gamers, because that’s
43 where the cache mostly shines.
44
45 > Plus, if the video stops working, replace card instead of whole mobo.
46
47 Onboard graphics sits in the CPU. The mobo just routes the signal. And if
48 any of that breaks, you can still fall back to a slot-in GPU.
49
50 > I also have to have two outputs.  One for desktop, one for TV.
51
52 Most boards have at least two outputs, nowadays usually one HDMI and DP.
53
54 > One other thing, the mobos I keep finding have few PCIe slots.  Some
55 > have 2 maybe 3.  That's getting to be to few for me.
56
57 Gamer boards tend to skimp on ports, because those people generally care
58 mostly for their GPU (plus design and RGB). I believe you use ATX boards,
59 right? Here is a list of AM4 ATX boards with at least four PCIe slots,
60 totalling to 70 models (and still 31 with five slots):
61 https://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=mbam4&xf=18869_4.
62 Feel free to play with the filters yourself.
63
64 > Then my next thing, a case.  The cases I find have a ton of lights, which
65 > I hate, but as far as layout and such, they suck.  Some cost a arm and leg
66 > and they are worthless to me.
67
68 Unilluminated ATX cases for at least five 3.5″ drives:
69 https://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=gehatx&xf=17572_ohne%7E536_5%7E9691_ATX
70 Or for eight drives:
71 https://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=gehatx&xf=17572_ohne%7E536_8%7E9691_ATX
72
73 There are some nice bland black boxes among them, notably the Fractal Define
74 series.
75
76 > I found one the other day that is fairly plain, holds 8 or 10 hard drives
77 > and has reasonably good cooling.  I'm hoping I can get it.
78
79 Here, Linus is showcasing an 8-drives storage machine in a Fractal Define R4:
80 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpJViwtct5g
81 And here a system with 18 drives 🤪 in a Fractal Define 7XL:
82 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAy9N1vX76o
83
84 > Usually I look forward to building a new rig.  Trying to find things I
85 > like takes the fun out of it.  I'll get there tho.  Eventually.
86
87 I’ve been thinking for two years now. But my old PC keeps on running. I even
88 play some Cities Skylines with its 8-year-old intel iGPU. I just can’t bring
89 myself to discard that or to dosh out the money. And I can’t decide for a
90 form factor. I want to have all at once and use them depending of the mood
91 of the day. :D
94 Grüße | Greetings | Qapla’
95 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
96
97 Win a Google Nexus! Scratch here ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ with
98 a key or any other sharp object to reveal your winning code!